365 RTE 14
Coleman,
Prince Edward Island
C0B 1H0
|
Prince Edward Island Tourism Region : North Cape Coastal Drive
Description From Owner:
- 3 mi NE of O'Leary in Lots 5 and 6. Named for the Catholic church there. School district c1878. P.O. 1894-1914. Douglas 1925 confuses it with Bloomfield; Bloomfield Corner is over 1 mi N.
Address of this page:
http://pei.ruralroutes.com/StAnthony
Have something to say about St. Anthony?
Tell us, and we'll tell the world!
John Hunter-Duvar
and his mysterious wife, Annie Carter
John Hunter-Duvar (1821-1899) came to PEI from Scotland in 1857 and made his home at Hernewood on Mill River.
He edited the Summerside Progress newspaper from 1875-79, commanded the Prince County Militia, served as federal Supervisor of Fisheries from 1879-89 and established a reputation as a poet and dramatist.
His wife, Annie Carter (1826-1901) was surrounded by mystery. She received a quarterly allowance from a firm of English solicitors and refused to disclose any information about her parentage.
The only clue to her background was a note scribbled on the back of her husband's will to the effect that she "was a first cousin of Queen Victoria," and therefore likely one of the many illegitimate children of King George III and Queen Charlotte.
With permission from 'Prince Edward Island Place Names' David E. Scott 2011